Thursday, April 28, 2011

How it all began

Okay. I have been urged by several friends, family members and other people to start my own blog about my cookings and my recipes. Personally I don't find my cooking special and I can also tell with honesty that I somewhat dislike cooking. The problem here is the fact that I had a very loving and caring, 100% full blood German/Silesian grandmother named Elfi who enjoyed "stove duty" more than anything else. My brother and I grew up in Germany and we did stay at grandma's almost every other weekend as well as for a big portion of all our school breaks. We got to eat all sorts of home cooked meals which sometimes even included roasts and cream pie for breakfast.
Of course that was fantastic growing up but it didn't make things any easier when I finally started living on my own. The first time I bought a box of instant mashed potatoes I wanted to compare it's flavor and nutritional value to that of a bowl of mushy card board, the frozen pizza I had bought was greasy and contained more artificial ingredients than real stuff  (hell, it probably even glowed in the dark) and eating cereal every day was also not an option.
WHAT TO DO?!
There isn't much to do if you are spoiled rotten when it comes to food. You can either find a kick ass job which allows you to go to your favorite restaurant every day, you can move in with Oma Elfi or you start cooking your own meals and hope it all turns out good.
Obviously I have chosen to start cooking my own meals. I am still not anywhere near "Oma Elfi's" cooking skills but it worked out pretty okay for me thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment